Joseph J. Bongiovi III
Attorney Joseph J. Bongiovi III is BDR’s principal. He was born in Elizabeth, New Jersey, and has been a resident of Las Vegas, Nevada, since 1970. Mr. Bongiovi graduated from UNLV with a Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology. He then received his law degree from the University of San Diego School of Law having earned honors in trial advocacy while in attendance. He is admitted to practice before all state and federal courts in Nevada and before the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.
Mr. Bongiovi has carried an “A/V Preeminent” rating from Martindale-Hubbell since 2000. In April 2006, he was recognized as one of the “500 Leading Judges in America” by Lawdragon magazine following that publication’s national peer review/survey of judges and lawyers. In 2007, Mr. Bongiovi became a Fellow of the elite American College of Civil Trial Mediators. In 2010, he was recognized as a “Super Lawyer” in ADR and was also invited to become a member of the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals. In 2014, Mr. Bongiovi was recognized, again through peer review/survey, as a “Best Lawyer in America” in the field of mediation and was also listed in Who’s Who Legal: Mediation. In October 2014, Mr. Bongiovi was named a “Top Lawyer” in Southern Nevada by Desert Companion magazine and AVVO. For 2015, BDR has been recognized as one of U.S. News and World Report’s “Best Law Firms” based upon a peer review/survey. For 2016, Mr. Bongiovi has again been recognized by “SuperLawyers,” “Best Lawyers in America” and Who’s Who Legal: Mediation.
Having represented insurers, insureds and self-insured entities while in litigation practice, Mr. Bongiovi limited his practice to mediation and arbitration in 1996 when he established Bongiovi Dispute Resolutions. He then became the first full-time mediator based in Nevada. BDR is exclusively an alternative dispute resolution firm. Mr. Bongiovi no longer represents clients. Since forming BDR, Mr. Bongiovi has performed thousands of mediations and hundreds of arbitrations in disputes involving anywhere from hundreds to tens of millions of dollars. He handles disputes in pre-litigation, litigation and appellate stages. As noted, Mr. Bongiovi is privileged to enjoy an exemplary reputation for professionalism and success in ADR.
Mr. Bongiovi has lectured in continuing education programs for the Nevada State Bar and other sponsors, and to the bench and bar on dispute resolution and other issues.
- University of San Diego Law School, J.D. (1986): Int’l Academy of Trial Lawyers Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas, B.A. Psychology (1983): Fleischmann Scholar
- Bongiovi Dispute Resolutions (1996-present): Practice limited to ADR of all matters except domestic and construction defect cases. Matters include personal injury/wrongful death, insurance coverage/bad faith, product liability, premises liability, security misconduct, professional malpractice, intellectual property, contract, commercial and employment disputes.
- Bongiovi & Silvestri, Chtd. (1993-1996): Practice included defense of insureds, insurers and self-insured entities in personal injury/death, coverage/bad faith/fraud, product liability, defamation, premises liability, security misconduct, professional malpractice, construction defect, contract and commercial disputes.
- Joseph J. Bongiovi III, Chtd. (1990-1993): Practice included defense of insureds, insurers and self-insured entities in personal injury/death, coverage/bad faith/fraud, product liability, defamation, premises liability, security misconduct, professional malpractice, construction defect, contract and commercial disputes. Reported Decision: Farmers Ins. Exchange v. Young, 832 P.2d 376 (Nev. 1992).
- Beckley, Singleton, DeLanoy, Jemison & List (1986-1990): Practice included defense of insureds, insurers and self-insured entities in personal injury/death, coverage/bad faith/fraud, product liability, defamation, premises liability, security misconduct, professional malpractice, contract and commercial disputes.
- Full-time practice devoted exclusively to ADR since 1996 with a history of thousands of matters handled
- 40 hour nationally sponsored mediation training program
- Accepted invitation to participate in Nevada Supreme Court Appellate Mediation Training Program
- Ongoing continuing education as time allows, including programs in ADR, negotiation and insurance coverage
- Full-time, and exclusively, ADR services since 1996
- Medical Malpractice Issues (panel member annual session American Ass’n for Thoracic Surgery, 2004)
- Insurance Coverage (to Nevada bar and claims professionals)
- Auto Insurance Coverage and Claims (to Nevada bar and claims professionals)
- Settling Insurance Claims (to Nevada bar and claims professionals)
- Defending Against the Soft Tissue Claim (to Nevada bar and claims professionals)
- ADR in Bad Faith Cases (to Nevada Bar and claims professionals)
- Settlement Conference/Mediation Techniques (to Nevada bench)
- General Principles of Mediation (to Mediators of Southern Nevada)
- “Avoiding Pitfalls in ADR” Communique (August & September 2006)
- Settlement Conference and Mediation: Tactics and Preparation (to Nevada bar)
- Fellow, American College of Civil Trial Mediators
- Charter Member, National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- ABA Section of Dispute Resolution
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
Rates and Contact Information:
Mr. Bongiovi charges $550 per hour for all matters outside New York City. In New York, his rate is $650 per hour. If the proceeding is held outside Las Vegas, Nevada, $175 per hour is billed for travel time, and travel and lodging expenses are billed at cost. There are no administrative fees or charges.
Cancellations or continuances occurring within two weeks of the mediation/arbitration date will be billed for Mr. Bongiovi’s time on the matter to that point.
Joe can be reached directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.